Getting Started with Harmony Ultimate One
Walk through our setup tutorial: adding your home entertainment devices, setting up one-touch Activities and learning more about the usage of your remote. Already set up and something's not working? Our troubleshooters and support articles will help set things right.
Lets get started.
Understanding how Harmony works
Your Harmony Ultimate One allows you merge the remotes of up to 15 of your home entertainment devices into one so you can, and should! keep those other remotes out of sight.
The Harmony software will guide you through entering the manufacturer and model numbers of your home devices so Harmony understands how to control them. It then helps you create Activities (or scenes) so you're only one-button away from watching television or playing a game.
What's in the box
Harmony Ultimate One remote
Harmony Ultimate One remote enables one-touch Activity based control of your home entertainment system.
Keep your remote in here when not in use to ensure it's fully charged when you need it.
AC Adapter x2
Provides power to the charging station.
Your new remote is configured by connecting your Harmony Ultimate One to your laptop or desktop computer using the supplied USB cable, and signing in to the Harmony software.
Adding Devices and Activities
Download and install the Harmony software.
If this is your first Harmony remote, create a new account.
If you already have a Harmony account then you may sign in and add this new remote to your account.
Using the supplied USB cable, connect Harmony Ultimate One to your computer.
If this is your first remote then you'll be prompted to enter the manufacturer and model for each of your home entertainment devices.
Learn more about finding your device's model number.
Are you upgrading an existing Harmony remote? You may also choose to import your previous remote settings.
Once all your devices have been entered, the Harmony software will prompt you to create Activities such as Watch TV, Listen to Music or Watch a Movie.
You'll be asked what input each of your devices have to be on in order for you to see video and hear sound. Follow the on-screen instructions, or learn more about creating a Harmony Activity.
That's it! When you sync, Harmony will transfer these settings to your remote. When you first use your remote control, you will see a tutorial screen. To exit the screen, tap on the X on the right. To never show the tutorial screen again, tap on the box on the top left and then tap on the X on the right.
Press the Off button to power off all your entertainment devices.
Tip: You do not need to press Off when switching between two Activities. Harmony will remember what is already powered on and only change what's needed.
One button, two actions; press to fast forward or hold it a little longer to skip forward. All buttons on your Harmony remote can be customized with different short and long press actions.
This button shows your Favorite Channels. Tap a Favorite to tune in to that channel. If your system is off, tapping a Favorite will start your Watch TV Activity and then tune to that channel. You can use Favorites to quickly navigate your on-screen TV guide as well. Learn more about adding Favorite Channels.
This button accesses your Activities. Tap an Activity to turn on your entertainment system or to switch to another Activity.
Swipe left and right to change modes on your screen, and when in an Activity, swipe the up arrow to reveal gesture control. You can also customize the commands that appear on your screen.
Customize your HarmonySetting up Favorite Channels
Add up to 50 Favorite Channels to your screen, with icons or station names. Learn more about Adding Favorite Channels.Adjust and tweak each of your buttons.
Create as many Activities as you'd like and tweak what each button does or which commands appear on the screen.
Using your HarmonyUnderstanding Activities
Unlike other universal remotes that may control devices individually, Harmony controls an Activity such as Watching TV or Playing a Game. You don't need to choose which device you want to control. Start your Watch TV Activity and your volume will automatically control the stereo, and channels will automatically change your TV or cable/satellite box. Watch this video to learn more.Keep your devices in sync
To help keep your Harmony in sync with your devices, avoid turning your television, cable/satellite box and other devices on and off manually or by using their original remote control. If something didn't turn on then use the help feature.Harmony Help feature Did one of your devices not power on, or switch to the correct input? The Harmony Help feature will ask you a series of questions to bring everything back in sync. Watch our video to learn more about Harmony Help.
Additional support resources
If one of your devices didn't power on or change to the correct input, then we recommend using our Activity troubleshooter to help narrow down the problem and find a solution.
- How to update your Harmony firmware Harmony periodically releases updates to our remotes, keyboards and hubs that may enable new features, deliver bug fixes ...
- The Harmony remote isn't being detected by the computer Did your Activity not turn on correctly, or is a device not being properly controlled?
- Adding a device that's not found in the Harmony database The Harmony database is aware of over 270,000 devices and is being added to each day; however it may still be possible that on ...
- Using the Harmony Help feature to fix a problem with your Activity Your Harmony has a Help feature which can assist in correcting problems when starting or stopping an Activity.
- Harmony fails to sync Here are some troubleshooting steps for resolving Harmony remote sync errors.
- See all articles →
Do more with your Harmony Ultimate One remote
- Properly pointing your Harmony Ultimate One remote Harmony controls your devices using infrared (IR) light meaning that there must be a direct line of sight between the ...
- Customizing physical buttons on your remote Harmony allows you to customize what each of the physical buttons on your remote do, and each of these customizations ...
- Customizing buttons on your remote's screen Harmony allows you to customize which commands appears on the screen of your remote, and each of these customizations ...
- Adding Favorite Channels to your Harmony Ultimate One Harmony allows you to assign your Favorite Channel number to a button on your remote so you may easily tune to that ...
- Send additional commands when an Activity starts or stops Harmony allows you to configure additional commands to send when an Activity starts or stops. For example, you may wa..
- Changing when a device powers on or off By default, Harmony turns off devices that are not being used as part of the current Activity. Harmony gives you the flexib..
- See all articles →
Have more questions or suggestions?
Download the setup software
Depending on your remote, you can set up and configure Harmony using either the Harmony software or Harmony mobile app for iOS and Android.Download
Harmony community forums
Post a question to the Harmony forums. Our Harmony product managers also actively participate and provide technical advise.Explore
Contact the Harmony Team
Harmony comes with a period of free email and phone support. You also have unlimited access to our online support community.Contact Us