Pairing Harmony with Apple products
Apple devices such as Apple TV and MacBook may require a pairing process before Harmony is able to control them. Pairing Apple products with the Harmony Remote ensures that they will be controlled when selected in an Activity or device mode.
If your Apple device has previously been paired to its original remote it will not respond to Harmony until the original has been unpaired. If no remote is paired the Apple device will respond to both Harmony and the Apple remote once Harmony pairing is complete.
If you have more than one Apple product that you wish to control with your Harmony you will need to pair the Harmony with those devices separately.
- Switch off all your Apple devices, except for the one you wish to pair.
- Navigate to and select Devices on your Harmony Remote.
- Select the Apple device to pair with.
- Hold your Harmony Remote within visible range of the Apple device.
- Select the Pair command on from your screen.
Repeat these steps for each Apple product you wish to control with the Harmony.
If an Apple device becomes unresponsive to Harmony at any time after pairing simply unpair and follow the steps above.
Your Apple TV must be updated to the latest version in order to work with your Harmony remote. Please do the following on your Apple TV:
- Go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Select Update Software.
If your Apple TV does not respond after you have updated your Harmony Remote please follow these steps:
- Navigate to and select Devices on your Harmony.
- Select the Apple TV.
- Hold the Harmony Remote within visible range of the Apple TV.
- From the screen of your Harmony, select the Unpair command.
Your Harmony remote should now control your Apple TV.
If after updating the Harmony Remote your Apple computer does not respond, please follow these steps:
- On your Mac choose Apple Menu.
- Open System Preferences.
- Click Security.
- Click General.
- Click Unpair.
The Apple computer should now respond to your Harmony Remote.
Apple iPod and digital music players
iPods (and all variants including iPhone) are not directly controllable by an IR (infrared) remote. As a result a docking station must be used in order for any IR remote to control it. There are two models made by Apple for controlling your iPod: the iPod Universal Dock and the Apple Universal Dock.
If you are using a third party dock (such as one that came with your AV receiver), in order to add it you must enter it under its manufacturer and model number (i.e. Pioneer IDK-80)
My iPod or iPhone does not respond to the Harmony Remote:
If after updating your Harmony Remote the iPod or iPhone does not respond please follow these steps:
- Select Devices on your Harmony.
- Select your iPod. iPods and the iPhone will be listed as a Digital Music Server.
- Connect the dock to your computer or to an electrical outlet.
- Put an iPod/iPhone in the dock and turn the iPod on.
- Hold the Harmony within 3 inches of the dock.
- From the screen of your Harmony, select the command Unpair.
The iPod or iPhone should now respond to your Harmony Remote.