How to pair over Bluetooth, USB receiver or Wi‑Fi
All Harmony hub-based remotes, including Harmony Smart Keyboard use infrared (IR) for basic AV control of the vast majority of entertainment devices.
Mac or PC
- or -
If your computer does not support Bluetooth, the Harmony Smart Keyboard USB receiver may be used as a connection between Harmony Hub and Mac.
You will be asked to select your control method and instructed to pair (if required) during set up using Harmony App. All navigation, mouse and text entry controls may be sent using either Bluetooth or the USB receiver.
During set up you will be prompted to power on your Apple TV, select the Bluetooth connection option from your Apple TV menu and begin the pairing process.
For more information, view: Harmony experience with Apple TV.
Be sure to place the hub or the IR mini blaster very close to the front of Xbox as it requires a strong signal to operate properly. Learn more about:
Ensure your Roku is powered on and connected to the same Wi‑Fi network as your phone. Harmony App will scan for this device during setup and guide you through the pairing process.
For more information, view: Harmony experience with Roku.
- or -
Depending on your brand of television, Harmony may also be able to perform text entry using either Bluetooth or with the Harmony USB receiver.
- Harmony experience with LG Smart TVs
- Harmony experience with Panasonic Smart TVs
- Harmony experience with Philips Smart TVs
- Harmony experience with Samsung Smart TVs
- Harmony experience with Sharp Smart TVs
- Harmony experience with Sony Smart TVs
- Harmony experience with Toshiba Smart TVs
- Harmony experience with Vizio Smart TVs
Standard TVs, AV Receivers, Set top boxes, etc.
When setting up Harmony Smart Keyboard, Harmony App will guide you through testing basic AV control of each device. This will typically use IR commands, except for a few devices like Mac & Windows computers, PlayStation and Xbox game consoles and Roku.
When creating your Activities, you may have the option to associate text entry functionality to one of the devices within each Activity. This will usually require an additional pairing step where you tell Harmony Smart Keyboard how to send these extra commands to the chosen device.
Connecting using Bluetooth
Apple TV as well as some models of Mac or Windows computers and Smart TVs support text entry over Bluetooth.
When you choose to connect Harmony Smart Keyboard to a device using Bluetooth, Harmony Hub will put itself into pairing mode. At this time, you must also enable pairing on the device you want to control. For most devices, Harmony App will provide specific instructions on how to enable Bluetooth pairing.
Connecting using the USB receiver
Xbox360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4 game consoles as well as Mac and Windows computers support text entry over USB. Some models of Smart TVs may also support USB for text entry.
For these devices, you will be guided through connecting one of the included USB receivers.
It is important that you only plug the USB receiver into the device when prompted by Harmony App. Harmony Hub will detect when the IR receiver is plugged into the device and will associate that receiver to that device.
- Tip PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 are unique in that they uses Bluetooth for basic control and USB for text entry, requiring two separate pairings with Harmony Smart Keyboard.
- Tip If you have more than 2 devices for which you want to use USB for text entry, it is possible to assign one of the USB receivers to more than one device. In this scenario, you will have to manually move the IR receiver between your devices depending on which Activity you're in at the time.
Connecting using Wi‑FiHarmony Smart Keyboard controls Roku devices exclusively over Wi‑Fi. For this scenario, your Roku and Harmony Hub must be on the same Wi‑Fi network. When you add the Roku device to your account, Harmony Hub will immediately scan for Roku devices on your Wi‑Fi network. If you have only one Roku device and you enter the exact model number, Harmony Hub will immediately pair with it. If you have multiple Roku devices and/or you entered an inexact model number, Harmony App will ask you to confirm the pairing.
An added benefit of using Wi‑Fi to connect with your Roku is that all of your Roku channels will appear as Favorites in Harmony App whenever you enter that Activity.
Switching between text entry methods (USB and Bluetooth)If required, you may change the way text entry is sent for the connected device, for example, from Bluetooth to USB receiver, provided the device supports both methods.
- Select Menu > Settings > Edit devices and activities > Enable Text Entry.
- Select Activity > Edit Keyboard Connectivity.
- On the Keyboard connectivity screen press Next.
- Click Change to be able to switch keyboard connectivity on your device.
- Selecting Bluetooth you instruct you through the pairing process.
- Selecting USB Receiver will prompt you to select receiver 1 or 2.
Select your remote
We need to know which type of remote you have in order to provide you the correct instructions. Please select from one of the options below in order to get started.
Instructions on this page are not relevant for the Harmony remote you've selected.
← GO BACK