Harmony experience with Fire OS
It's compatible with Harmony hub‑based products
- Set up your Fire OS device
- Set up Fire OS and install the apps you'd like to use (e.g., Netflix, Hulu+, Plex).
- Connect Harmony with your Fire OS device
- Once connected, you can use Harmony to control your Fire OS device and set up Activities that include it.
Adding a Fire OS device
- Launch the Harmony app and connect to your Harmony hub.
- Select MENU, then Harmony Setup > Add/Edit Devices & Activities > DEVICES.
- Select the ADD DEVICE button at the bottom of the screen, followed by ENTERTAINMENT DEVICE.
- Enter the manufacturer and model number for your device, then select ADD.
- Once added, Harmony will prompt you to create an Activity. Select Yes.
- Continue through the series of questions to build your Watch FireTV.
- Once you have selected your devices and inputs, the Harmony App will display the Bluetooth pairing instructions to pair with your FireTV.
- Once created, Harmony will be able to control your FireTV.
- Once your setup is complete, we recommend you turn off CEC Device Control. To learn more, please see TROUBLESHOOTING HDMI DEVICES WITH CEC.
Please follow the Mobile set-up steps to pair your FireTV with your Harmony Remote.
Harmony hub‑based products can control all FireTV, and also add additional capabilities. Using the Harmony app.
- Control icon lists commonly used FireTV buttons.
- Gestures allows you to control your Activity using simple swipe gestures over your phone screen. For example, swiping up/down will change your volume and left/right can rewind and fast-forward.
- Voice and Text entry allows you to use your mobile device's keyboard and/or microphone for text input.
Harmony has already optimized the buttons on your remote; however you can further customize these buttons depending on your preference.
Harmony displays commands specific to your Watch Amazon Fire TV Activity on your remote screen. You can add, remove or rename them.
You can view common Fire OS device commands on your phone or tablet screen. You can add, remove or rearrange these commands.
Adding the Harmony Companion app
The Harmony Companion app needs to be installed on your Fire OS device before Harmony Express is able to control it.
- Launch the Harmony Express app and select Device Settings.
- Select your Fire OS device and tap Install Companion app.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
Adding Fire OS to your Harmony setup
- Launch the Harmony Express app and tap Edit Setup.
- Next, tap + to perform a Wi‑Fi scan, and select your device.
- If your device isn't found, ensure it's on the same Wi-Fi network as Harmony Express.
- If you still have issues, reboot your device and router then try again.
- Tap Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
- If you're using an Amazon Fire TV Cube, we recommend disabling CEC once your setup is complete.
For Fire OS instructions to pair your remote, see: Pair an Additional or Replacement Remote
Harmony Express allows you to use your voice to launch apps with this device. During setup, for each app (Netflix, YouTube, etc.), you will be asked which device should be used to launch it. You can also use your voice to send commands such as turn on, turn off, and more. Tap What to say in the Harmony Express app to see sample commands for your device.
For more information on how to use your voice with Harmony Express, see: Voice commands on Harmony Express
Although Harmony has already mapped default commands to your remote buttons, you have the ability to assign custom commands to them. For more information, see: Customizing physical buttons on your remote
Direction Pad Navigation will navigate the Amazon app.
Media Keys such as Play, Pause, Stop, FastForward and Rewind commands work.
Direction Pad Navigation will navigate the Netflix app.
Media Keys such as Play, Pause, Stop, FastForward and Rewind commands work. Netflix allows you to move a frame forward or backward using the direction left and right arrows.
Direction Pad Navigation will navigate the Hulu app.
Media Keys such as Play, Pause, Stop, FastForward and Rewind commands work. Hulu allows you to skip 10 seconds forward or back using the direction left and right arrows.
Direction Pad Navigation will navigate the YouTube app.
Media Keys such as Play, Pause, Stop, FastForward and Rewind commands work. YouTube allows you to navigate between videos using the Direction Right and Left commands.
Direction Pad Navigation will navigate the Browser app.
Media Keys are not used within the Browser app.
The behavior of other apps may vary depending on the app's design.
My devices keep going out of sync
If you own a Television that has Fire OS built into it, we recommend using your voice to change between inputs for watching live tv and transitioning to Fire OS app content. Using the Harmony Express remote to navigate between the inputs will cause the devices to be out of sync in when you try to control them.
My controls stop working correctly after searching for content
Your Harmony Express remote connects with your Alexa account, allowing you to control your Fire TV. If you’ve been using another Alexa-enabled device to control your Fire TV and have added the Fire TV Alexa skill, there may be voice commands that conflict with Harmony Express.
If you’ve previously added the Fire TV Alexa skill and are having issues when sending commands, you can allow Harmony Express to control your Fire TV instead. To do so, press and hold the OK button on your Harmony Express remote and say “Turn on Fire TV”.
When using this method, subsequent commands will come exclusively from Harmony Express and will not use the Fire TV Alexa skill.
Harmony Express remotes Hub‑based remotes
Harmony pairs and controls this device using Bluetooth. Your Harmony hub and this device must be within 15 feet (5 meters) of each other; however, they do not require direct line of sight. You will be prompted to pair Harmony with this device during setup, or on first time use for Harmony Ultimate or Ultimate Home remotes.
Harmony uses your Wi-Fi network to launch apps (e.g., YouTube or Netflix). For device control, such as adjusting the volume or changing the channel, Harmony uses Bluetooth signals.
Select your remote
We need to know which type of remote you have in order to provide you the correct instructions. Please select from one of the options below in order to get started.
Instructions on this page are not relevant for the Harmony remote you've selected.
← GO BACK