Getting Started with Harmony Elite
Walk through our setup tutorial: adding your home entertainment devices, home control devices, setting up one-touch Activities and learning more about the usage of your remote.
Lets get started.
What's in the box
Harmony Elite remote
The Harmony Elite remote enables one-touch Activity based control of your home entertainment and home automation systems.
The Harmony hub is the center of your home entertainment and home control solution. Placed near your television, cable/satellite box, game console and other equipment, it uses Infrared (IR), Bluetooth and Wi‑Fi to control your various devices.
Keep your remote in here when not in use to ensure it's fully charged when you need it.
Power adapter x2
Connect a power adapter to your Harmony hub. It takes 30 seconds for the hub to power on.
Connect the other one to your remote charging station.
IR mini blaster x2
The IR mini blasters connect to the back of the hub and helps extend the coverage area for IR controlled devices.
Use this if your entertainment system has closed cabinets and you have devices behind cabinet doors.
Use of the IR mini blaster may or may not be required, depending on your setup.
May be used to optionally set up your Harmony Elite from a computer based setup instead of from your mobile device.
Also, if your mobile device doesn't support Bluetooth LE technology, the USB cable can connect the Harmony hub to your computer so your homes Wi‑Fi credentials may be saved to the hub.
Positioning Harmony Hub
- Position Harmony Hub on top of your cabinet, or on a large, open shelf that's unobstructed.
- IR signals sent from the hub will reflect off of walls and other surfaces before reaching your devices. Direct line of sight is generally not required.
- Position Harmony Hub inside the cabinet, on or beside the majority of your devices.
- IR signals sent from the hub will reflect off of walls, cabinet interiors and other surfaces before reaching your devices. Direct line of sight is generally not required.
- Plug the IR mini blaster into the back of the hub and position it on top of your cabinet so it may send IR signals to your television.
Powering on Harmony Hub
Plug the supplied power adapter into Harmony Hub. The hub takes 30 seconds to power on.
Downloading the Harmony app and Wi‑Fi setup
Visit the iTunes App Store or Google Play and search for the Harmony app.
Launch the app and select Set Up New Hub.
Continue through the various screens following the instructions:
- Ensure Bluetooth is enabled on your iPhone.
- Ensure your phone is connected to your home's Wi‑Fi network.
- Ensure Harmony Hub is powered on.
- The Harmony app should find your hub after several seconds.
Try disabling and re-enabling Bluetooth on your phone.
View our support article:
The Harmony app is unable to discover Harmony Hub.
Once your phone and hub have paired over Bluetooth you will be asked to enter your Wi‑Fi credentials.
Adding Devices, Activities and Home Control
If you already have a Harmony account, sign in.
Otherwise, select CREATE ACCOUNT.
You'll be guided through several screens explaining how Harmony Elite works.
If you have a previous Harmony remote and would like to import its devices and Activities, you will be able to copy them over to your new Harmony Elite. If you do not have a previous Harmony remote, select No, Set Up New.
Enter your devices:
- Harmony will first try to detect some of your connected devices such as Sonos, Roku and Philips hue.
- Press the Add Device button at the bottom of your screen to add additional home entertainment and home automation devices.
- If required, Harmony will ask you to enter the username and password for some of your services so we may communicate with them.
- Having trouble finding your model number? This article may help: Finding your device's model number
Harmony will either automatically create Activities or guide you through creating them based on the devices discovered to help set up your one-touch experience. If you'd like to further modify any of these Activities by adding additional commands, please take a look at our article regarding adding commands to your Activities.
You'll now be able to configure up to 50 Favorite TV Channels. Enter your zip code to help find local service providers, then select from a pre-populated list of channels.
That's it! When you first use your remote control, you will see a tutorial screen. To exit the screen, tap on the X on the right. To never show the tutorial screen again, tap on the box on the top left and then tap on the X on the right.
Press the Off button to power off all your entertainment devices.
Tip: You do not need to press Off when switching between two Activities. Harmony will remember what is already powered on and only change what's needed.
The Settings icon brings up help screens depending on the current Activity, allows you to set a sleep timer, customize on screen commands and their order, or adjust remote settings such as vibration intensity and sceen brightness.
One button, two actions; press to fast forward or hold it a little longer to skip forward. All buttons on your Harmony remote can be customized with different short and long press actions.
Tap the Activities soft button to access your home screen to easily launch or switch between Activities.
Tap the Devices soft button to view all your entertainment and home control devices.
The Harmony Elite buttons are automatically mapped based on the Activity you're in. While watching TV, the channel buttons will control your cable/satellite box. While listening to music, the channel buttons may change radio stations.
Associate lights, blinds, locks and plugs to the four home control buttons. Press the light bulb to turn on a group, long press to turn them off, and use the toggle button to adjust brightness.
Customize your HarmonySetting up Favorite Channels
Add up to 50 Favorite Channels to your screen, with icons or station names. Learn more about Adding Favorite Channels.Modify each of your buttons.
Using your HarmonyUnderstanding Activities
Unlike other universal remotes that may control devices individually, Harmony controls an Activity such as Watching TV or Playing a Game. You don't need to choose which device you want to control. Start your Watch TV Activity and your volume will automatically control the stereo, and channels will automatically change your TV or cable/satellite box. Watch this video to learn more.Keep your devices in sync
To help keep your Harmony in sync with your devices, avoid turning your television, cable/satellite box and other devices on and off manually or by using their original remote control. If something didn't turn on then use the help feature.Harmony Help feature Did one of your devices not power on, or switch to the correct input? The Harmony Help feature will ask you a series of questions to bring everything back in sync. Watch our video to learn more about Harmony Help.
Additional support resources
If one of your devices didn't power on or change to the correct input, then we recommend using our Activity troubleshooter to help narrow down the problem and find a solution.
- How to update your Harmony firmware Harmony periodically releases updates to our remotes that may enable new features, deliver bug fixes ...
- Adding a device that's not found in the Harmony database The Harmony database is aware of over 270,000 devices and is being added to each day; however it may still be possible ...
- Using the Harmony Help feature to fix a problem with your Activity Your Harmony has a Help feature which can assist in correcting problems when starting or stopping an Activity.
- See all articles →
Do more with your Harmony Elite remote
- Customizing physical buttons on your remote Harmony allows you to customize what each of the physical buttons on your remote do, and each of these customizations ...
- Customizing buttons on your remote's screen Harmony allows you to customize which commands appears on the screen of your remote, and each of these customi ...
- Adding Favorite Channels to your Harmony Elite Harmony allows you to assign your Favorite Channel numbers to an icon on your remote so you may easily tune to that ...
- Customizing buttons in the Harmony mobile app The Harmony app allows you to customize what device commands appears on the screen of your phone or tablet, and ...
- See all articles →
Have more questions or suggestions?
Download the setup software
Depending on your remote, you can set up and configure Harmony using either the Harmony software or Harmony mobile app for iOS and Android.Download
Harmony community forums
Post a question to the Harmony forums. Our Harmony product managers also actively participate and provide technical advise.Explore
Contact the Harmony Team
Harmony comes with a period of free email and phone support. You also have unlimited access to our online support community.Contact Us